Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Collaboration happening

When I first started blogging about the development of what would become LEAP Innovators and Investigators, one my biggest struggles was accepting the loss of control necessary to let (make?) this class happen. I thought I had conquered my fear of losing control, but I have realized in the past couple of weeks, how much of me was still clinging unnecessarily to my own sense of order and authority. 

The thought of 50 minutes a day, every day of the school week of free, uninterrupted and unstructured work time seemed dangerous. I decided over the summer that I would schedule "whole class" activities once or twice a week: TED Talks to discuss, routine plussing sessions. But once again, I'm having to relearn how to let go. Because I've realized that I don't need any enforced class interaction to tent-pole what's happening here. 


Working together on a Google Chrome extension
For example, the idea of the weekly structured plussing/feedback sessions? Totally unnecessary. Kids are naturally seeking out feedback and help from each other. I watch them collaborate in this organic way, just as I watch them walk in the door, grab their projects and start immediately working, and it seems like magic. I designed a system to give them wings, and they are flying. Are all of them doing the kinds of projects I had imagined? Nope. Some of them, I don't even really understand, but here's to letting go and trusting, both myself and them.

No comments:

Post a Comment